If you’re the manager of a college cycling team and are considering team kits, you may not know where to start as far as licensing is concerned. And yes, you must have your team kits licensed. Not doing so could cost you thousands in fines.
So have a seat, grab a beer, and take satisfaction in the fact that though the licensing process can be a bit convoluted, we’ll do everything we can to make it easier on you.
Specifically, on our end we’ll take care of:
- Licensing fees. Yep, that’s right. We pay those for you.
- Filing the design with the appropriate licensing company. No need for you to have to navigate that.
- If you decide to sell your kits, we’ll split the royalty rate with you.
Ready to start? Here’s how the process works:
- Give us a call. Speak with your customer service rep (they will be your new best friend) and give them a heads up that you’re working on this. They’ll stay in touch with you to make sure you’re taking all the right steps.
- Work on a design. If you have a designer at your school who can sketch it for you, great! If not, we have designers on staff who can put together a design for you. You’ll need to provide us with logos, brand standards, and any other “must haves” for the design.
- On that note: If possible, run the design or design idea by your marketing folks or athletic director before coming back to us. That way we’re all on the same page from the beginning, eliminating extra steps later.
- We’ll submit the design or design instructions to our designers, and we’ll be back in touch with you on a proof.
- Once you’ve approved the proof, we’ll submit it to the appropriate licensing company. In an ideal world, they’ll approve it. They’ll also submit it to your athletics and marketing folks for final approval. If they don’t approve it, we’ll come back to you, and we’ll make revisions until it is approved.
Many team managers ask us how long it will take for the design to get approved. This depends on the licensing company and senior leadership at your college. Some team approvals take a day, others take a couple of months. The best way to ensure quick approval is to stay in contact with your marketing and athletics folks from the beginning of the process to the end.
Give us a call. Let’s navigate this process together so that you and your team can #ridehincapie.
University kits we currently produce:
University of Arizona, Auburn University, Bates College, Baylor University, Boston College, Cornell University, University of Chicago, Clemson, University of Florida, Furman University, Iowa State, Kennesaw State, Lindenwood University, Lindsey Wilson College, University of Louisville, Mars Hill University, Northern Arizona University, University of Oklahoma, Penn State, Presbyterian College, Purdue University, Rutgers University, Savannah College of Art & Design, University of Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Villanova University, University of Washington, Washington & Lee, Washington State.